Activism

Published on October 26th, 2018 | by Anna Siriano

Get Ohio To Vote Digital Canvass

Please complete this form if you are going to participate. This helps us determine how effective this approach to get out the vote can be. We will be in touch with a brief follow-up survey after Election Day.  Also, use the hashtag #GOhioTV when you share posts to let us know you are participating.

<<Share our Facebook event with active friends>>

This toolkit is also available in PDF format.

Canvass Script

These are your friends. You are going to better know what to say to get them to the polls. You know what issues they care about. But, we wanted to make it easy on you. Below is a script like you would get during a traditional canvass to make it easy for you to reach out and respond.

***Be sure to customize the statements in [brackets] throughout the script to personalize your message before you hit send***

__________________________________________________________________

Hey! I hope you are doing well. I am writing my friends to remind them election day is Tuesday, November 6. I cast my ballot a few days ago. Do you have a plan to vote this year?

IF YES, they have a plan to vote:

That’s great! I want to encourage you to vote early if you can. That way, if something unexpected happens, you still get your chance to vote. You know how important this election is! My family, for example, [my family is at risk to lose Medicaid] [I care about strong public education] [public transit is my biggest issue], so I made sure to vote for [candidate name] for [office candidate is running for]. Do you have any questions about voting that I can help answer?

IF YES, and they are enthusiastic about voting/your conversation:

I’m glad to hear you’re as enthusiastic about the importance of voting as I am! Will you join me to help get more voters out by contacting 10 friends who you are unsure if they will vote? You can use this toolkit, which has a script and lots of voter resources you can share: http://swingstatevoices.com/get-ohio-to-vote-digital-canvass

IF NO, they don’t have a plan to vote:

Well, if you’re registered to vote, I really encourage you to go soon (early voting locations are open this weekend). People tend not to vote in the midterms, but we have quite a few really important races happening this year, including for governor. I made sure to vote for [candidate name] for [office candidate is running for] because [I have friends family members who depend on Ohio’s Medicaid expansion staying in place]. Are there any questions I can answer to help you get to the polls this year?

IF YES, they have questions, please refer to the Voter FAQs section. Once done, finish with conclusion.

IF NO, they don’t have questions:

Ok, well don’t hesitate to reach out if you think of anything, and thank you so much for answering my questions. Our democracy is really important to me. Have a wonderful day!

CONCLUSION:

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate reach out. Our democracy is really important to me, and your voice is so important. Have a wonderful day!

__________________________________________________________________

Tips and Guidelines

1. Know you will do awesome. Sometimes it can be more nerve-racking to reach out to people you know, but most people respond positively to voter outreach or else don’t respond.
  2. Stay positive. Do not take it personally if people don’t respond to your messages. People have all sorts of reasons why they don’t respond to things and also can get weird about voting.
  3. Stay non-judgmental. If you let someone know you are voting a certain way, and they tell you they’re voting the opposite, don’t bash their opinion. Stay positive, drop some links, and move on.
  4. Know you are making a huge difference. Every single vote matters, and you may help a voter get to the polls first time. You are a warrior for democracy using every weapon in your arsenal.

Tools

This process can be a little tedious, but rest assured that you are reaching hundreds of potential voters in the amount of time you could hit 50 doors on-the-ground (definitely canvass on the ground, though! The turfs are well-vetted for likely voters). Here are tools that can make the process easier.

1. Use the <<vowel technique>> to message everyone on Facebook or in your contacts.
  2. Throughout the day, message the people who you see are currently on messenger.
  3. Use any of these super convenient <<voter outreach tools>>. They do pre-crafted batch messaging and even show you voter statuses.

Voter FAQs

Voters have a lot of similar questions. Here are some answers to troubleshoot them.

How do I know where to vote?

If you are voting the day of the election, you can find your polling location by going to www.myohiovote.com and entering the address where you are registered to vote. If you are voting any day before November 6, you can vote at your county’s early voting location.

County Location Address
Cuyahoga Cuyahoga County Board of Elections 2925 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44115
Hamilton Hamilton County Board of Elections 4700 Smith Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45212
Franklin Franklin County Board of Elections 1700 Morse Rd, Columbus, OH 43229
Lorain Lorain County Board of Elections 1985 N Ridge Rd E, Lorain, OH 44055
Lucas The Source 1301 Monroe St, Toledo, OH 43604
Montgomery Montgomery County Board of Elections 451 W. Third St, Dayton, OH 45422
Summit Summit County Board of Elections 470 Grant St., Akron, OH 44311

A full list of county Board of Election sites can be found here.

When can I vote?

Early Voting (bold denotes weekend hours):

October 22-26: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

October 27: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

October 29-31: 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.

November 1-2: 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.

November 3: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

November 4: 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.

November 5: 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.

Election Day:

November 6 (Polls Open 6:30 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.)

How do I know what I’m voting for?

You can find your personal ballot by going to www.myohiovote.com. All Ohioans are voting on Governor, Attorney General, Secretary of State, Treasurer, State Auditor, U.S. Senator, and Issue 1, but you might have local issues and candidates for State Senators or Representatives and Congressional Representatives.

How do I know who to vote for?

I personally look to see who endorsed the candidates. You can also consult candidates’ website, past debates, newspaper articles comparing the candidates, and organizations’ voter guides and candidate scorecards. Here is a resource I trust:

League of Women Voters – compares answers from candidates on your ballot.

Ohio WPPN – answers from some candidates on questions pertaining to women.

Equality Ohio – a scorecard for state races based on LGTBQ support.

Kaleidoscope Youth Center – answers from a few statewide candidates.

Innovation Ohio – compares votes from Ohio representatives on working family issues.

Ohio AFL-CIO – endorsed candidates and Congressional scorecard.

Vote Pro-Choice – endorsements from pro-choice organizations. Also, straight from NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio and Planned Parenthood Advocates and Action Fund.

NAACP – Congressional scorecard for Ohio based on civil rights issues.

Human Rights Campaign – endorsed candidates and Congressional scorecard.

League of Conservation Voters – Congressional scorecard.

University of Akron – info about county judges.

Issue 1 – pros and cons and an explainer from the Cincinnati Enquirer.

I requested absentee, how do I submit it?

Your ballot needs to be postmarked by Monday, November 5th or you need to bring your ballot to the county board of elections by 7:30 p.m. on Election Day. Mail it to your county’s board of elections. Remember, when mailing that some ballots require two stamps. I would use to stamps to be on the safe side. More info here

What if they turn me away at the polling location?

Call 866-OUR-VOTE. If you can’t get through to them and the poll workers are not getting you the help you need, tell them you want to cast a provisional ballot.

How do I get a ride to my polling station?

Uber and Lyft are offering free rides to your polling location on November 6. I’m not sure of what opportunities exist near you for early voting rides, but sometimes these exist, too.

What do I do when I get there?

When you get inside your polling location, there should be a clearly delineated area where poll workers are set up. They will ask for your voting address and a form of I.D. Once they check that you are at the right location, they will have another worker escort you to the voting machine. They will explain how to use the machine (typically a touchscreen). They should let you know that you will have a chance to confirm your choices or go back and change choices when you get to the end of the ballot. When you are done submitting your ballot, you should hear the machine reset. That’s it. You can get your “I voted” sticker and take your voting selfie, lol

What forms of I.D. do I need?

Most people use an unexpired driver’s license or another state I.D. The address doesn’t have to be up-to-date. You can also present a utility bill (electric, gas, etc.), bank statement, pay check, or any government-issued checks or documents with your name and current address. Military I.D. is also a valid I.D. Get the official list here

What if I’m still in line after the polls close?

As long as you are in line before the polls close, you are allowed to vote at whatever time you make it to the voting machine. If you encounter problems with this, call 866 OUR VOTE.

Share These Posts

The point of the digital canvass is not to share posts. The digital canvass is about personal outreach. Still, sharing these posts may be a good way to identify who has questions and help out confused voters. You can copy and paste the language provided. Be sure to find the corresponding image and attach it to your post. You can also share our Facebook posts and tweets.

Copy and paste to your feed (save photos from below):

Our democracy depends on each of us wielding our power to vote. I want to get as many of my friends to the polls as possible this year, so here I am begging you: PLEASE VOTE!

<<<CLICK TO TWEET THIS>>>

What time do you plan to vote? Many registered voters miss their chance to vote because of scheduling conflicts. Plan it out now, so your voice is heard. You can do that at www.myohiovote.com.

<<< CLICK TO TWEET THIS >>>

If anyone out there has questions about voting, feel free to message me. I have a ton of resources for you! Here’s a great graphic about what’s on the ballot this year.

<<<CLICK TO TWEET THIS >>>